This is what you need to know before the bell:
1. European stocks are opened modestly higher Thursday as global equity markets stabilise following yesterday's spike in volatility linked to the escalating military tensions between North Korea and the United States.
2. Altice NV (ATCEY) shares surged the most in two months in early Thursday trading after the French telecoms and cable group controlled by billionaire Patrick Drahi raised its stake in SFR Group amid continued speculation it may be preparing a takeover bid for Charter Communications (CHTR) .
3. Snap Inc. (SNAP) will have a lot to prove when it reports second-quarter results after Thursday's closing bell. Investors will be laser focused on whether the newly public social media company can demonstrate user growth, narrowing losses and momentum in its advertising business.
4. Gold was trading at 1,284.80 an ounce, up 0.4%, while the dollar index, which measures the greenback's strength against a basket of six global currencies, gained 0.27% to 93.75.
5. U.S. stock futures were lower on Thursday amid continued jitters over the escalating military tensions between North Korea and the U.S.
Watch More with TheStreet: