This is your round-up of the financial news from around the world:
1. European stocks pause as investors await a key series of economic growth figures Britain and the United States as well as an estimate of the pace of inflation in the Eurozone.
2. Barclays Plc (BCS) posted stronger-than-expected first quarter pre-tax profits even as credit impairments at the British bank increased from last year.
3. UBS AG (OUBSF) posted a much stronger than expected set of first quarter earnings Friday as net profit at the Swiss bank more than doubled and client inflows to its wealth management division increased.
4. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc (RBS) notched its first quarterly profit in more than a year with a better-than-expected bottom line at the troubled state-owned lender.
5. U.S. futures prices are forecasting modest declines for both the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the broader S&P 500, but an impressive set of earnings from Alphabet/Google's (GOOGL) and Amazon.com (AMZN) after the close Thursday are likely to boost the Nasdaq