Here is a round-up of the morning's earnings report: #
1. Samsung (SSNLF) stock closed at a new record Thursday after it reported a solid first quarter and conceded to a push by activist investor Elliott Management to boost returns by cancelling some of the shares it holds in its treasury.
2. Ford (F) posted stronger-than-expected earnings Thursday but cautioned that rising costs will hit its full-year bottom line.
4. Southwest Airlines (LUV) missed analysts' expectations for its first-quarter earnings, reporting adjusted earnings of 61 cents a share on revenue of $4.9 billion, sending shares down in premarket trading.
5. Lufthansa (DLAKY) fell to the foot of the market in Germany Thursday after a cautious tone from management led investors to overlook what was otherwise a solid set of first-quarter numbers from the flagship carrier.
6. Bayer AG (BAYRY) shares rose to the top of the German leaderboard Thursday after reporting better-than-excepted first quarter earnings that were boosted by a near 20% advance in sales of the group's Xarelto stroke prevention treatment.
7. Nokia Oyj (NOK) shares surged to the top of the market in Paris after the network equipment maker said it was "cautiously optimistic" for the full year even as it posted a slowing in first quarter sales.