What could be better than having chocolate and wine on Valentine's Day -- or any day for that matter? Roxanne Browning, a chocolate sommelier and founder of ExoticChocolateTasting.com, knows how to put them together and she taught us how to do the perfect pairing. With her, we discussed the cacao bean, or cocoa, and which countries are using sustainable farming methods. As the bean-to-bar trend grows, the search for quality heats up. Browning suggested places to get "real" chocolates, such as bars that have 70% cocoa.
- Cocoa futures are the lowest they've been since 2013 because of oversupply and lower demand.
- West Africa is one of the top producers of cocoa.
- A quality chocolate bar should have about 70% cocoa.
- A Hershey (HSY) bar only has about 11% cocoa.
- Stocks like Mondelez (MDLZ) and Hershey are up 22% and 19% respectively, over the last year.
Need other ideas for Mom? Check out these links: