|Day Low/High||172.13 / 175.21|
|52 Wk Low/High||159.32 / 219.75|
* Over the last two months the outlook for the car business has deteriorated from an already low level * I would continue to avoid all auto stocks "It's deja vu all over again." - Yogi Berra Over the last 60 days I have conducted an extensive resear...
We have a nice little risk averse bull call spread just for earnings.
* Sometimes the stocks we elect not to buy teach us a lesson and save us money 3M was downgraded today and the shares have fallen below $170/share. Remember this column I wrote 3 1/2 months ago? 3M Stumbles Badly - Price Is Not Truth * If 3M's EPS m...
By selling out of big losers prior to the quarter's close, portfolio managers can hide the stocks from clients, but some downtrodden shares could be ripe for bounces next week, so here's my list.
Trade deal or no trade deal, the charts of Emerson Electric are not encouraging for its shares.
Talks between Washington and Beijing unlikely to end tariffs, but what would be worse? If the Fed chief dropped his guard on a single tweet.
Mr. Market re-embraces the cyclicals today ( , , , etc.). This may support the notion that I am on the right track with my bond short.
You don't need to look far to find example after example of stocks that wound up returning to their average P/E ratios after big swings up or down.
With 60 minutes to go: * The S&P has just broken the day's lows - following the pattern of early strength and late in the day weakness. * Breadth: 1200 advancers, 1750 decliners. * The economic message of lower bond yields is growing louder. * The 1...
Dividend stock investors should look to have at least some exposure to this sector.
* There are many historical reasons to be concerned * The Nasdaq looks especially vulnerable (watch out below Apple!) * My conviction that an important market topping process is in place has grown Evidence of a market topping process, which began in...
* Raising my short exposure this morning As the business media dwells on the IPO, the market backdrop continues to deteriorate. I continue to see growing evidence that the market could be in a major topping process - with prior highs (and a possible...
Only economists and pundits seem to be worried about a pending crash that might never occur.
Verizon and 3M had very different earnings results, but both stocks have reacted by pulling back to attractive levels.
Why the Uber IPO and the market's take on China tariffs are so important, and what stocks would be most affected by any derailment.
The base just wants the scales leveled. That's what Trump wants, too, and he won't sign off on anything with China until he gets it.
The big portfolio managers get ahead of the turn in cycles -- as we can see in oil services, semiconductors and autos, among other sectors. Here's how to play their game.
With thirty minutes to go in the regular hours trading session: * Second day of weakness with 1,340 advancers and 1,610 decliners on the NYSE. * But we are way off the day's lows. In fact S&P futures are 17 handles above the morning levels (Made a n...
RMPIA outperformed once gain during April.
With 25 minutes of trading left in the day: * The markets moved back and forth from no change several times during the day. * At 3:35 pm closer to the lows, though. * Breadth negative - 1300 advancers, 1630 decliners. * Bonds were higher in the morn...
The rule: Never pay more than a stock's normalized valuation when making a new commitment.
'Rookie buying' ahead of the print can get you in trouble.
The price action of individual stocks is the canary in the coal mine that will tell us when there are some problems developing.
I have been preaching that we need to stay focused on price action more than anything else. This week was a particularly good illustration of why.
* The market's relentless advance continued, with the customary rally from the morning lows. * Breadth improved throughout the day (1,966 advancers, 973 decliners). * Bonds fell in yield, with the 10-year U.S. note yielding 2.50%. * Oil collapsed --...