If you want to know what to buy and when to buy it, I am providing here a list from Briefing.com of the stocks that hit 52-week highs last week.
Now you know that I like the higher yielders, but these stocks represent the market's faves while Europe was brewing. They are stocks that I think represent the places to go after the decline is over, and we are so not there, but I think that you need to be prepped.
I am editing the list to home in on stocks I like, and I am taking out the gold stocks -- a substantial part of the list -- because I like the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) and because I accept that the gold stocks will remain "go to" as long as we are in a race to debase currencies. Basically, I like all of the gold stocks, but my favorites remain Randgold Resources (GOLD) and Goldcorp (GG).
First are the soft-goods stocks, and there I want to highlight Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Kimberly-Clark (KMB), Coca-Cola (KO), Colgate-Palmolive (CL), Diamond Foods (DMND) and Church & Dwight (CHD). These managed to rally despite all of the negativity, and I believe that they should be front and center on your screen. Please keep in mind that the issue here is recession, and these all work in a recession.
Second, the special high-growth situations, which include Perrigo (PRGO) and Hansen Natural (HANS), the knockoff drug company and the maker of Monster energy drinks. Both of these companies are viewed as being able to maintain their strength despite any slowdown. They are also heavily shorted. They make a ton of sense to me.
Then there is AutoZone (AZO), which, along with AutoNation (AN), has shown an inclination and knack to buy back stock, and both are plays on the need to fix and save in the auto industry. They have fared well and are going to fare very well in the much-anticipated recession that might not come. But who cares? It is the prevailing ethos.
Finally, there are the dollar stores, Dollar Tree (DLTR) and Dollar General (DG). These aren't going to quit. They remain the best plays on the downscaling of America, as they remain the best upscalers of the downscalers!
Below is the complete list of stocks that held up last week and I which I believe will bounce back after Europe gets cleaned out and we get oversold. Of course, both of those events could be a little while away, but I thought that the idea of reminding you that strength prevails over time is worth the time to look at. The list incorporates every day of the last week, as per Briefing's excellent listings.
- Sept. 2: New 52-week highs include: AUY, EGO, GDX, RGLD, RIC, TLVT
- Sept. 1: New 52-week highs include: ABV, ACC, AEE, AHCI, AKRX, AZO, BMY, BRFS, CATM, CHD, EDAC, EGO, ELS, FNF, FUEL, HME, KMB, KO, LG, LQDT, MITK, MUB, NJR, NNN, NVEC, PAET, PEG, PMC, PPL, PRA, PSA, TAC, TDY, WGL, WTSLA
- Aug. 31: New 52-week highs include: ABV, ACC, AFSI, AHCI, ALXN, AZO, CATM, CHD, CL, CVI, DG, DMND, DY, EDAC, ELGX, ELS, FCFS, FIZZ, FRT, FUEL, GRZ, IIJI, JAZZ, KMB, KO, LGND, MAKO, MITK, MLI, NGD, NI, NJR, NSM, NUS, NVEC, NWE, OCN, PAET, QSII, REX, RGR, RIC, SO, STMP, TAYD, TDY, TNH, WGL, WTSLA
- Aug. 30: New 52-week highs include: ABCO, ABV, AN, AZO, CF, CL, CMT, CVI, DG, DLTR, EDAC, FNF, HANS, HOTT, IIJI, ITC, JCOM, KO, LGND, MCD, MKTX, MNRO, NUS, PAET, PRGO, RGLD, RGR, RIC, SUSS, TNH, UWN
- Aug 29: New 52-week highs include: ACC, AN, BAA, CF, CHD, CHG, CVV, DLTR, EDAC, FPIC, FUD, GNRC, HANS, HOTT, ITC, MCD, MG, MKTX, MLR, MNRO, NGD, NJR, NVEC, NXG, PAET, RGLD, RGR, RLRN, SO, STAA, STMP, SUSS, TNH, WCN, WETF, WGL