Decision Time for UNG

 | Dec 12, 2012 | 10:22 AM EST
  • Comment
  • Print Print
  • Print
Stock quotes in this article:


I was looking at two time and price periods this month for a possible low in the United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG). The first window produced a buy trigger followed by a minor rally and then a failure. This next decision is coming up right now.

First, as far as price is concerned, I'm looking at a relatively wide support zone that comes in between $18.31 to $19.28, with the focus within that zone in the $18.31 to $18.91 area. The price cluster by itself is considered a trade setup. If we can test and hold above this zone, we want to drill down to a 30-minute chart and look for reversal indications that will tell us that it is worth placing a bet against this next key support zone.

Besides the Fibonacci price parameters that are telling us to watch for a possible low, I am also looking at a cluster of Fibonacci time cycles that suggest we watch for the same thing. When a cluster of these cycles come together within a relatively tight range (similar to what we look for in price), the odds of a reversal of the trend increase. Note that the cycles on the chart are coming in between Dec. 12 and Dec. 14.

United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) -- Daily
Source: Dynamic Trader

But I don't want you to step in front of a freight train here. UNG is on my radar to watch for a buy trigger, but only as long as we continue to respect the time/price parameters outlined above. In other words, this is a heads up to a possible opportunity at the ground level. (For more information on what I use to trigger into a trade, please refer to the "handy guide" I recently posted.)

United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) -- 30-Minutes
Source: Dynamic Trader

I will watch a 30-minute chart and look for two things to occur before I consider an entry on the buy side. I want to see a prior swing high taken out, and the 8-day exponential moving average cross back above the 34-day EMA. The data on this chart is a little spotty, but it should suffice. I've marked a prior swing high that would need to be taken out at that point (though this may shift to a lower high as the market unfolds). We also need to see the 8-day EMA (blue line) trade above the 34-day EMA (red line). The initial risk can be defined below the low made prior to a buy trigger, or below the low end of the price cluster zone at the $18.31 to $18.91 area.

If you want to go the very conservative route, you can wait for the 5-day EMA to cross above the 13-day EMA on the daily chart to trigger an entry. This will occur further away from the zone we are risking against, though the odds for follow-through will be higher. To give you a visual of when the daily chart crossover has triggered in the past, I have illustrated the crossovers on the daily with blue arrows. (Note that on the daily chart, I use a 5-day EMA and 13-day EMA.)

Ready, set and don't go -- unless you see a buy trigger.

Columnist Conversations

BBY is getting smoked this mornings(weak forecast).  The stock is off 8% after opening the session with a...



News Breaks

Powered by


Except as otherwise indicated, quotes are delayed. Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes for all exchanges. Market Data provided by Interactive Data. Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings and ratings provided by Zacks. Mutual fund data provided by Valueline. ETF data provided by Lipper. Powered and implemented by Interactive Data Managed Solutions.

TheStreet Ratings updates stock ratings daily. However, if no rating change occurs, the data on this page does not update. The data does update after 90 days if no rating change occurs within that time period.

IDC calculates the Market Cap for the basic symbol to include common shares only. Year-to-date mutual fund returns are calculated on a monthly basis by Value Line and posted mid-month.