All Clear for Entry

 | Jul 07, 2013 | 6:00 PM EDT
  • Comment
  • Print Print
  • Print
Stock quotes in this article:


In my columns, sometimes I'll identify a trade setup before any entry triggers have fired off, meaning the reader must wait on a signal before they can safely jump into the trade. Other times, I'll wait for a trigger to come before I'll write about an entry on a pullback -- in which case the stock is already cleared for entry. The following setup falls into that second category.

The stock in question is (CRM), which has seen a healthy pullback since the May 20 high. True, the basic moving averages are not in our favor here, as the stock is currently below both the 50- and 200-day lines. Nonetheless, I have reason to believe that the most recent low was key and pivotal. (CRM) -- Daily
Source: Dynamic Trader


First look at the prior major swing, which I have illustrated on the daily chart -- a $11.14 decline into the Aug. 2, 2012 low -- which gave way to a healthy rally. The most recent decline, from the May 20, 2013 high into the June 21 low, took the stock down by a very similar $11.49. That represents what I call symmetry, or similarity with a prior swing in the same direction. Beyond that symmetrical decline, I'm seeing a meaningful cluster of Fibonacci price relationships between $34.91 and $36.74.

As far as timing is concerned, I also see a confluence of five Fibonacci time cycles that had come due between June 19 and June 25. When I spy a clustering of timing cycles, I watch for a possible change in whatever the trend is at that time. Since the stock had traded down into that time window, the prediction had been for a reversal back upward.

The actual low in Salesforce was made on June 21 at $36.09, and buy triggers have followed on the 30-minute chart (see here for more on trade triggers).

So, to recap, here are the trade details:

  • Fibonacci price support: $34.91 to $36.74
  • Fibonacci timing cycles for a low: June 19 to June 25
  • Actual low: $36.09 on June 21
  • Risk: Below $36.09
  • Potential target: $50.71
  • Resistance hurdle: $42.57 to $43.92

I am a buyer of Salesforce on pullbacks to the June 21 low, with my maximum risk defined below that level. The first major potential upside target comes in at $50.71, though I would protect profits on a failure to clear an important hurdle on the way up at the $42.57-to-$43.92 area. I will consider myself wrong if the June 21 low is taken out on the downside.

For more information on trade triggers, please refer here

Columnist Conversations

Spent a good amount of time with PayPal CEO Dan Schulman this week...and came away fully understanding why thi...
Has quietly taken a mini beating over the past few weeks. Might be worth a look on Monday given everything tha...



News Breaks

Powered by


Except as otherwise indicated, quotes are delayed. Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes for all exchanges. Market Data provided by Interactive Data. Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings and ratings provided by Zacks. Mutual fund data provided by Valueline. ETF data provided by Lipper. Powered and implemented by Interactive Data Managed Solutions.

TheStreet Ratings updates stock ratings daily. However, if no rating change occurs, the data on this page does not update. The data does update after 90 days if no rating change occurs within that time period.

IDC calculates the Market Cap for the basic symbol to include common shares only. Year-to-date mutual fund returns are calculated on a monthly basis by Value Line and posted mid-month.