Wait for the Trigger

 | May 12, 2013 | 7:00 PM EDT
  • Comment
  • Print Print
  • Print
Stock quotes in this article:


Catamaran (CTRX), in the bigger picture, is showing us a general pattern of higher highs and higher lows. What this tells us is that, despite the lack of bullishness in recent price activity, it's OK to look for the possible resumption of the larger uptrend.

In light of this, I'm starting to stalk for a possible buy entry in Catamaran, and I'm seeing two zones that stand out for a possible buy entry -- $49.93 to $51.32 and $47.46 to $48.46.

First, to give you some perspective, here are those zones on a weekly chart.

Catamaran (CTRX) -- Weekly
Source: Dynamic Trader

Both of these areas include what I call "symmetry projections," or measured moves. This means some of the potential support comes from taking prior corrective declines within the larger uptrend, and projecting 100% of those declines from the most recent high. Symmetrical pullbacks will often identify an ideal place to reenter a stock within the direction of the trend.

Now let's take a look at the same setup on a daily chart.

Catamaran (CTRX) -- Daily
Source: Dynamic Trader

As you can see, Catamaran is currently above the 200-day simple moving average, which is a plus. Note, however, that it's quoted below the 50-day. This does not mean the stock won't hold above our setup zone -- it is just typically better when a stock is above both of these key moving averages.

In order to see whether it's worth placing a bet, we need to go down to a 30-minute chart and look for a buy trigger.

Catamaran (CTRX) -- 30-Second
Source: Dynamic Trader

Currently, the stock is currently holding above zone 1. In order for me to enter a trade here, I would need to see two things happen. First, Catamaran shares need to take out a prior swing high -- $52.73 is the one I'm watching now -- and, second, the eight-day exponential moving average would need to cross above the 34-day EMA. If both of these take place as the stock continues holding above one of these key support zones, that would signal that it's worth placing a buy-side bet. My risk would be defined below the low made prior to the signal.

So let's watch for a trigger in the coming sessions. If I don't see such a trigger, I will stand aside.

For more information on trades and triggers please refer here.

Columnist Conversations

We will take off some more risk, bank some winners SOLD PG OCT 90 CALL AT 3.3 (in at 2.90) ...
After a very calm and sedate period of volatility which saw the VIX fall not only to all time lows but had a r...
today is a good day to lighten the load and take some positions off the table. SOLD WB OCT 85 CALL AT 11 (i...
I reached out last week to my close friend Ken Shreve, who is a prominent writer for the IBD.  I asked Ke...



News Breaks

Powered by


Except as otherwise indicated, quotes are delayed. Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes for all exchanges. Market Data provided by Interactive Data. Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings and ratings provided by Zacks. Mutual fund data provided by Valueline. ETF data provided by Lipper. Powered and implemented by Interactive Data Managed Solutions.

TheStreet Ratings updates stock ratings daily. However, if no rating change occurs, the data on this page does not update. The data does update after 90 days if no rating change occurs within that time period.

IDC calculates the Market Cap for the basic symbol to include common shares only. Year-to-date mutual fund returns are calculated on a monthly basis by Value Line and posted mid-month.