Watching for a Trigger

 | Mar 06, 2013 | 9:30 AM EST
  • Comment
  • Print Print
  • Print
Stock quotes in this article:


Even though this market seems to be bulletproof, I am still looking at a few bearish setups. The question is whether or not they will trigger an entry.

Last week, I set up what I call a two-step pattern in Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance (ULTA). The pattern in this stock is bearish, as we are looking at lower lows and highs since the one-third high. Also, the price is still below the 200- and 50-simple moving averages. This makes it a candidate for a possible short entry.

There is a rather wide sell zone in this stock that comes in between the $91.47-$94.05 area. This zone is defined via a cluster of Fibonacci price relationships. Within this cluster zone there is a tighter zone that comes in at the $91.47-$92.32 area. Now that it is testing this key resistance decision -- and so far, it has failed to clear it -- I can go down to a lower time frame chart and see if there is a trigger that tells me it is worth placing a bet on the short side or not. But so far, I don't see one.

There is one more factor that I am considering with this trade setup. The current rally swing in time is very similar to two of the prior rally swings that I have illustrated on the daily chart below, which were 12 and 10 trading days. As of the close on Tuesday, it was 10 trading days up from the recent low. Notice that after those prior rallies, a healthy decline followed.


Source: Dynamic Trader


I'm not going to tell you that the exact same thing will happen again, though I would not be surprised if it did since patterns do tend to repeat in nature and the market. Let's take a look at a 30-minute trigger chart next.


Before I would place a bet on the short side, I would need to see (as long as it doesn't clear the resistance cluster) a prior swing low to be taken out on this 30-minute chart, along with the 8-bar EMA crossing back below the 34-EMA. (The swing low used may change as the market unfolds, but, right now, I have my eye on $89.71.)

Source: Dynamic Trader

This type of action suggests that it would be worth placing a bearish bet on this stock. If it does trigger in the next few sessions, I am likely to look at a bearish options strategy. I would consider myself wrong if the high that is made before a trigger fires off is surpassed. If the trade does start to unfold, my downside target would come in somewhere around the $81 handle. Let's see if this trigger fires off or not. Ready, set -- but don't go yet.

For more info on trades and triggers please refer here.

Columnist Conversations

We will take off some more risk, bank some winners SOLD PG OCT 90 CALL AT 3.3 (in at 2.90) ...
After a very calm and sedate period of volatility which saw the VIX fall not only to all time lows but had a r...
today is a good day to lighten the load and take some positions off the table. SOLD WB OCT 85 CALL AT 11 (i...
I reached out last week to my close friend Ken Shreve, who is a prominent writer for the IBD.  I asked Ke...



News Breaks

Powered by


Except as otherwise indicated, quotes are delayed. Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes for all exchanges. Market Data provided by Interactive Data. Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings and ratings provided by Zacks. Mutual fund data provided by Valueline. ETF data provided by Lipper. Powered and implemented by Interactive Data Managed Solutions.

TheStreet Ratings updates stock ratings daily. However, if no rating change occurs, the data on this page does not update. The data does update after 90 days if no rating change occurs within that time period.

IDC calculates the Market Cap for the basic symbol to include common shares only. Year-to-date mutual fund returns are calculated on a monthly basis by Value Line and posted mid-month.